Top 10 Longest Words Used in the English Language
Who doesn’t enjoy crushing the competition in a Words With Friends battle? Or perhaps some old school Scrabble with the family is your game of choice? Throwing down an unusual and lengthy word while you play can be your ticket to victory. One big play can give you an uncatchable lead!
- Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters): Synonymous for silicosis, it is a lung disease caused by inhalation of very fine silica dust.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (36 letters): The fear of long words; not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association.
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (34 letters): Extraordinarily good; wonderful. The fine jingle by one Mary Poppins.
- Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism (30 letters): Genetic disorder that mirrors the symptoms but not the consequences of pseudohypoparathyroidism. (Actually a real disease.)
- Floccinaucinihilipilification (29 letters): Though not commonly used, this is the action or habit of estimating something as worthless.
- Antidisestablishmentarianism (28 letters): Opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus (27 letters): Plural form of a Latin word meaning the state of being able to achieve honors.
- Thyroparathyroidectomized (25 letters): The surgical removal of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- Dichlorodifluoromethane (23 letters): Colorless gas usually sold under the brand name Freon-12; typically found in refrigerant and aerosol spray propellant.
- Incomprehensibilities (21 letters): Difficult or impossible to understand or comprehend.
Staying Social While Social Distancing
In May 2020, Words With Friends digital app saw an increase in downloads by 614%. The World Health Organization even launched #PlayApartTogether, an initiative to promote online gaming as a safe platform to connect with people while following public health guidelines. Challenging friends, family or random players to a word game gets your brain working – and offers temporary respite from the news.
When you need transcription services, we’re here to help!
Since 2003, FFTranscription has been supporting businesses across the globe with their transcription needs. We understand accuracy is your number one concern, and that’s why we triple proof our work for quality. Easy, fast, and affordable, we have been the leaders in the transcription industry for over 16 years.
If you need transcription, don’t wait! Contact FFTranscription today at (215) 367-4040.