The Most Used Words of 2019 Has Us “Woke”
As we are well into 2020, it’s time to recap the most used words of 2019 by Global Language Monitor! Global Language Monitor began recording the top words of the year in 2000 to document the history of the 21st century through the English language, the world’s first global language.
So, what’s the word on trending words? Here are the top 10 words of 2019 and their definitions according to *Merriam-Webster:
- Woke: (1) chiefly US slang: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues, especially issues of racial and social justice; (2) past tense and past participle of wake
- Consequential: of the nature of a secondary result
- Migrants: one that migrates such as a person who moves regularly in order to find work especially in harvesting crops, or an animal that shifts from one habitat to another
- Opioids: possessing some properties characteristic of opiate narcotics but not derived from opium
- Collusion: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose
- Anthropocene: the period of time during which human activities have had an environmental impact on the Earth regarded as constituting a distinct geological age
- Heartbeat: one complete pulsation of the heart
- *Blue Wave: a surge of voters supporting Democratic candidates, resulting in an unusually high number being elected to office (defined by The Free Dictionary)
- *Family Separation: derived from the current United States immigration policy
- *Trade War: a situation in which countries try to damage each other’s trade, typically by the imposition of tariffs or quota restrictions (Oxford)
The data by Global Language Monitor is culled throughout the English-speaking world, which, as of January 2018, ranks more than 2.58 billion speakers.
Can’t get enough stats? Did you know Disney Plus was the most searched term on Google in 2019?
At FFTranscription, We Know Words!
No matter your words or the way you arrange them, FFTranscription can transcribe them! Serving a variety of industries from the medical to marketing, audio to academic, we can transcribe all of your files in a safe, secure format fit to your budget.
Ready to focus forward? Get a quote for your transcription needs today.
Since 2003, FFTranscription has been expertly transcribing in marketing research and for thousands of businesses across the United States. If you need transcription services for your marketing research, why don’t you give us a call at (215) 367-4040? We’re ready to handle all the details so you can focus forward!